One of the most important aspects of any SIG is how we communicate. There are essentially four categories of communication:
- From the SIG leadership to members about activities and events
- From members to the SIG leadership – suggestions, issues etc.
- From members to the rest of the SIG
- Between members – member to member
The channels we have at present are as follows:
SIG leadership → members
- Emails (via mailchimp – see also below)
Members → SIG leadership
- SIG email – email to SIG_migration@sietareu.org
- Direct email to individual leader or leadership group (personal email)
Member → the all of the SIG membership
- LinkedIn Group – a forum for discussion and sharing See below for instructions on joining.
- Slack – a communication tool that allows you to message and share items with the whole group – See below for more details
- Blogs – write a blog and share it with the members via the LinkedIn Group
- Podcasts – do your own podcast and share it via the LinkedIn Group
- WhatsApp group – you can join the WhatsApp group. This is for quick updates and news See Below for details on joining
- Webinars – see menu item on Events
Member(s) → Member(s)
- Use the application Slack (see below)
- Talk one-to-one – online or on-phone! A great way to support each other
- Face-to-face local. Arrange a small local meeting for people that live near each other. Half day or more.
- Face-to-face full SIG – these will be periodically arrange probably once a year. They involve members paying the cost of getting to the venue, a convenient one, plus a small fee for room hire, usually €30-€50. See events for updates
- Congress events. Where the National SIETARs organise a Congress we will try to have Migration SIG event as part of the Congress where appropriate. See Events and News
NOTES on Joining the SIG
To sign up for emails via MailChimp – or to Unsubscribe
To sign up for emails via MailChimp click here and complete the data. The information given here will be used only to communicate with you about the activities of the Migration SIG and to plan events
You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking here. Alternatively all emails will have an unsubscribe link
To join the WhatsApp Group
First you should go to a device where you use WhatsApp – either your phone or your PC if you have the desktop version (and everyone should get the desktop version)
Next, to Join the WhatsApp group all you have to do is click on this link
Lastly, click on the button to join the group.
If you are on a device that does not have WhatsApp it will ask you to install it.
Please note that not all SIG members are on the WhatsApp group.
Also when you join please send a message with your name to identify yourself – otherwise other members will no know who you are unless in their address book already
To join the LinkedIn group:
The LinkedIn Group is called: SIETAR Europa SIG – Interculturalists and Migration
LinkedIn has changed its rules recently and in order to join a LinkedIn Group you must first be linked, as a LinkedIn Contact, to one of the administrators.
The two administrators are
- Joe Kearns (click to see LinkedIn page)
- Head of Communication SIETAR Europa (click to see LinkedIn page)
Once you are linked then click this link
and then request to be added to the group. Please allow a little time to be added as the list is not checked daily.
To join Slack
We have set up a Slack group for the Migration SIG – to join the group click HERE
We strongly encourage you to join the Slack group to improve our effectiveness as a group. If it proves to be not suitable for you, you can leave the group later.
When you sign in please ensure your name allows others to know who you are – no nicknames please
Some of you are already familiar with the software and will no doubt agree it offers a great platform to facilitate discussion.
More on Slack:
Slack allows us to have not only a forum to talk to the SIG as a group, but we can also create discussion groups – called channels in Slack – for subsets of the Migration SIG.
There are two standard channels in Slack which you will see on the left side of the main screen.
- #general – where messages go to ALL members of that Slack space
- #random – where you can share random thoughts and ideas which may not be work related. Fun stuff
You can also chat one-to-one with any other member you choose – just click on the name and start chatting, only the two people see the comments. You can make calls with video if you choose but only with one other person. With the free version we cannot make group calls.
There are many other capabilities of Slack and you are encouraged to explore and share any useful tips with the group. You can also read more about Slack in this excellent article
Slack can be used in three ways
- Within your browser
- As a Desktop App – you don’t need to open a browser and messages appear on your screen
- As an app on your phone – look for Slack in your relevant app store
For the SIG Group we suggest you install the Desktop App and the mobile phone version for the best interaction with the group.